I was invited to witness the $19M Enhancement of the 1997 timeless classic that is Titanic in 3D. I was invited by the wonderful team at 20th Century Fox to mark the 100 year anniversary (April 10th) of the ‘unsinkable’ ship setting sail.
James Cameron’s “Titanic” is an epic, action-packed romance set against the ill-fated maiden voyage of the R.M.S. Titanic, the pride and joy of the White Star Line and, at the time, the largest moving object ever built. She was the most luxurious liner of her era — the “ship of dreams” — which ultimately carried over 1,500 people to their death in the ice cold waters of the North Atlantic in the early hours of April 15, 1912.
“TITANIC” is the second highest grossing movie of all time. It is one of only three films to have received a record 11 Academy Awards ® including Best Picture and Best Director; and launched the careers of stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. (Leo was just 22 when the film was shot!)
The 3D version will be released in cinemas across Australia on April 5th which boasts more visual effects that Avatar. The film looked amazing and I had forgotten how much I love the dramatic love story. I was advised that most 3D conversions take about 6 weeks – however Titanic re-release took 60 weeks. Every frame treated like a special FX shot (this is more than what was done for Avatar).
I would highly recommend going to watch the masterpiece in 3D, I truly believe that the release will open the film to a whole new generation of fans!
TITANIC MOVIE – THE FACTS
- Released in December 1997
- Directed by James Cameron
- Was the highest grossing film in box office history – grossed almost $2 billion until it was surpassed by Avatar
- Won 11 Oscars
- Was the most nominated movie in film history at the time
- Was the most expensive movie production of all of its time (about $200 million). The production of the movie cost more than the Titanic itself (cost to construct the ship was about $7.5M which is around $120-150M today)!
- The Titanic movie soundtrack was the bestselling US album of 1998 and ‘My Heart Will Go On’ won an Oscar for Best Original Song
- Over 10 million Facebook fans of the movie
RMS TITANIC KEY DATES
- May 31st – 100th Anniversary of the launch of the RMS Titanic
- April 10th – 100th Anniversary of the sailing of the Titanic
- April 14th – 100th Anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic